I love adoring my sweet little baby, but I struggle so much to ignore cradle cap! The sight of it drives me crazy! With each child I have gotten more and more natural with our skin care, and each child has had less of an issue with it. So a bit of advice to preventing flaky skin in the first place is to choose a baby shampoo or wash that is free of as many chemicals as possible. With baby number four I have been using a silicone brush every single time we wash her hair, and so far she hasn’t had any cradle cap at all.
There are a number of products available for purchase to take care of cradle cap, but I learned early on that this simple homemade mixture does the job nicely! Here is our DIY routine for treating:
- Cradle Cap Recipe
- 1 Tbsp Brown Sugar
- 2 Tbsp Olive Oil
- 1 Drop of Essential Oil (Optional) We like lavender or tea tree
- Mix everything together.
- Use a silicone brush. We love the DermaFrida by Fridababy!
- Put the mixture on baby’s head, use the silicone brush to gently wash baby’s scalp.
- Rinse well.
- Use a comb to remove any dead skin stuck to the hair. Do not be aggressive with skin that has not come loose from the scalp. You do not want to irritate baby’s soft sensitive skin.
- Pat baby’s hair dry.
- Depending on how bad the cradle cap has gotten, you might need to repeat this process again after a few days.
- Baby’s hair will look greasy for a day or two.
- Enjoy your fresh baby!
Goodbye Cradle Cap
We have been loving Earth Mama Baby Wash for baby number 4! Like I said, so far no cradle cap at all!
Here is my YouTube Cradle Cap Recipe video I made when baby number 3 was dealing with dry, flaky skin.
*This post contains affiliate links. I will be compensated if you make a purchase after clicking the links. I will only link products and resources that I have used and really like. Thanks for all your love and support!
2 Comments Add yours